It's Christmas Eve, the family is hungry! Our family tries to keep it lite on Christmas Eve with more of an appetizer or tapas munching experience and always trying new things. On our menu is, Dill Pickle Dip for Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we like to make a breakfast casserole, Breakfast Relleno, that can be put together quickly and bake while we enjoy opening gifts! Both recipes are below....Happy Holidays!
DILL PICKLE DIP
- 16 oz. cream cheese softened (2 packages, 8 oz each)
- 3 Tbls. dry ranch dressing seasoning mix (I've used taco seasoning here too in lieu of the ranch)
- 1 c. whole dill pickles, chopped (measure 1 cup after being chopped)
- 1 c. deli style ham, chopped (measure 1 cup after being chopped)
- 1 green onion diced
In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese and ranch dressing mix until smooth. Add the chopped pickles, ham and green onions; mix well. Serve with crackers, chips or veggies. I'm going to spread a layer of this mixture over 10" flour tortillas, then roll them up and wrap in plastic wrap. Can do a day ahead, pull out and slice into spirals and serve that way or with salsa! Add some diced red pepper for more color and crunch.
- 1 pkg. (approx 20 oz) frozen hashbrowns
- 1 can (27-28 oz) whole green chilies (Kroger does not carry these, I had to go to a Mexican grocery - I'm sure in a pinch, 4-5 cans of chopped chilies would do the same here)
- 1 c. chunky salsa (I forgot to put this in once and it turned out fine too)
- 1 pkg Jimmy Dean crumbled, precooked pork sausage (or you can make your own)
- 2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a greased 9x13 baking pan/dish, layer half of the potatoes, all the chilies (opened flat), all the salsa, half the sausage and half the cheese. Cover with remaining potatoes, sausage and cheese. Beat eggs and milk, add cumin, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over ingredients already in the pan. Bake uncovered, until eggs are set in center, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes. If desired, serve with warm tortillas, sour cream and extra salsa.